Monday, April 13, 2009

FRESH OFF THE PRESS AND FRESHER THEN A NEW PERM



Morning of a Sun


Home again for the summer, I mimic the seasonal
Change; a warmer shift in temperament leaves

An extended lightness that allows me to be thin in
Thick, soaked sponge air of humid

Summers, myself in bed, past noon, Saturday
And I feel more free; my lack of responsibility

Sparks a lack of response, my sheets, sweat
Through with an indolent, abstinent dampness, I

Drawn awake, alarmed by buzzing of chainsaw
Cicadas; they serenade like melody of deforestation,

Beneath them, under a red maple, sways a
Compost drum, hung on wooden stakes to

Let the barrel shift, sift oxygen through leaves
And grass, allow air for decomposition, another

Name for the undoing of a poem, this black barrel
Raised on its hinges, points up; a cannon pleading

Neutrality or more likely aimed at the sky,
Timid attempt at shooting down satellites

In the kitchen below me, a kettle reaches
Readiness; its call is shrill and dry, antipode

To water drops that tear over the lip of
The kettle's mouth; sound of a fervent

Sad mother grief; mourning of a son, funny
How my mind sends back these pleasantries

As capsules of erosion.


kt

2 comments:

sootheseyer said...

breathe the salt air
the seasons never die
they all live under the same blue sky

themanwiththeplan said...

This poem is quite nostalgic, melancholic even. Although it's tough to say melancholic because there's nothing too blatantly sad or depressing. More so, a desire to find things the way they once were? Also, I like the descriptions of sounds, weather, responsibility, etc. It's like everything that comes with growing up and how much we love to hate it. All around good stuff man, love how you open the piece..."Home again for the summer, I mimic the seasonal change"