Monday, April 6, 2009

Poem for a Workshop

“Shaped”

Shifted, I
Stand open, held
In a gust, a breath
Spitting rusted flakes
Of spotted trees bark

They find my eyes,
A swift dotting
Stings with surprise
And soon I tear,
My body washing itself

With flakes dripped out
I smile, knowing
I can take care
On my own
If I need

Turning outside myself,
For a moment, to trace

Snyder quoting Lu Ji, writing,
"In making the handle
Of an axe
By cutting wood with an axe
The model is indeed near at hand."

So,
With helve coalesced
From cleaved hickory
I follow the cycle
Knowing I,
Cleft and stitch,
The selfsame.

Wrote this for my workshop class. I liked it so I figured I'd share it with you guys. If your schedules are anything like mine then I know you're all super busy now but I'd love to see what you all are working on. Peace.

kt

6 comments:

zanzibar said...

i like that a lot. I'm not really a critic, especially of poetry, but your words strike up some fine imagery.
good luck with your school stuff, I'm also mad busy, i gotta make up an animal and design its nervous system by this thursday, but that's not really the kind of stuff posted here haha.
-Lt

Art Official Prophets said...

haha take a picture of it and post up what the nervous system looks like. thats a pretty crazy assignment, whats your made up animal? And thanks for the imagery compliment. I've been trying to work at strengthening that.

kt

zanzibar said...

its basically a leech, because they have relatively simple nervous systems, but then it flies to reproduce, and it makes spores that float around, like those helicopter type things from trees, so the offspring are spread out over a bigger area. im calling it a fleech.

Art Official Prophets said...

thats pretty sweet. flying leeches. make them giant flying leeches, and then unleash one on your class.
kt

Pmed said...

damn, watson i'd like to see that too thats pretty damn creative, throw it up here on ye ole blog , it is what this is all about "creativity of our fellow brother and sisters"

as for your poem kt (not to be confused with katie) i dig it i like how in the middle of your poem you quote someone quoting someone else i think thats pretty radtacular

sootheseyer said...

yeah the wooden axe handle reference is pretty much on point