Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Poems For Television

The true sun stood out on the water

It was wading between the boats
Buoys bobbed, up and down
Inviting me to come in
A hill lead down towards the water
The bank was weak and ended abruptly
Falling into air
When I stepped out to the edge to get a better look
Dirt gave way and my footing shifted
It startled me and I remembered danger
Little clots of earth fell and clashed against more earth
Stones fell from the embankment and splashed
The water rippled like it was running from the stone,
Fearing its impact
I think I saw the water move in anticipation of the stone,
I think my eyes can lie to me,
Because my stomach wasn't sure if it were true
The stone sank to the bottom and dirt was washed from itself
The dirt from the stone and the fallen dirt from the embankment 
Clouded the surface of the water

The true sun waited
 
I could make it out to it
And
If I could hold it,
I could bring it home with me
Put it in my pocket or wear it on a chain
Like keys
But it wouldn't rattle or make noise or stab in to my thigh 
While it waited in my pocket
When I separated it from the lint and coins
And brought it up and light spilled over and out of my pocket
And as it rose over the crest of the hem of my jeans
It would light my was as I walked down the Sickle Path,

Cleared by sickle in the morning
And put to shape by sickle at noon
And kept clear by minds sharp as sickles at dusk

The true sun waited

I could try and swim out to it
Dive into the water like stones from an embankment
And watch as grime washed from me and clouded the water

I thought motion might feel good
Motion of my arms crawling overhead in the water
Motion of foot on pavement
Motion of two bodies as one
One back to the floor
One back to the ceiling
Warmth of two bellies pressed against one another
A fire cooked blood back then
And lent light to motion at night

But what if I find myself in the water
Unable to swim-
Then my ambition would fall
Like a rain or a tear drop into the current
Of the water in which I swam
And that drop would become nothing
Lost in the vastness of the wake
Its insignificance greater then its existence ever was

And the true sun would still be waiting.

No comments: